You are installing all the lighting in your home or you would like to renew one or more luminaires to improve the comfort of your home. Living room, dining room, kitchen or bathroom…, each room requires adapted lighting.
Giving particular attention to the decoration of your home, the comfort and well-being of its occupants necessarily requires an appropriate choice of lighting. The offers are varied. This post supports you in your project, by explaining the simple operation, different possible uses, the advantages and disadvantages of led bulbs.
The LED light bulb is a type of bulb used for lighting fixtures. But there are also other types of bulbs such as incandescent bulb, halogen, neon, and low-energy bulb.
Led Light Bulb: Simple Operation
LED means light-emitting diode, i. e. semiconductor “chip”:
– the movement of electrons causes an emission of light according to the principle of electroluminescence,
– its structure and integration are easy and simple into an electrical circuit.
The LED bulb does not have a filament, unlike incandescent bulbs: the heat emitted is therefore much lower.
A LED lamp simply consists of a LED chip mounted on a reflector base, a cathode (-) and an anode (+) and an epoxy glass that protects the diode.
It works differently depending on the type of bulb you are using:
– either in mains voltage (220 V), with the specific bases GU10 or GU5, but also recently with bases E14 and E27,
– or in low voltage (12 V) with MR16 or GU5.3 bases.
Good to know: Some models are called power LEDs, which are more powerful in terms of light output. However, this power is limited, because, in return for their performance, they generate a lot of heat and can only operate with a fairly powerful cooling system (e. g. cooling fins).
Led Light Bulb: Different Possible Uses
LEDs are suitable for spot and direct lighting, bedside lamps, spotlights but also ambient lighting.
They also find their place outside the house, for the illumination of a path, or the enhancement of a big statue in the garden, and they can successfully contribute to the lighting of your pool.
Led: A Light Bulb with an Elegant Design!
Considering its small size, the LED light bulb can be integrated into products with an elegant and discreet design and is available in different colours.
A particularity: it has a variable angle of diffusion. It’s up to you to decide whether you want a wide illumination (open-angle) or a 30° cone (closed-angle).
LED lamps are often equipped with a dichroic reflector that projects light forward and heat backward.
Led Light Bulb: A Record Lifetime
The lifetime of this type of bulb can reach 100,000 hours, it even beats fluorescent lamps.
Resistance to Repeated Uses:
– no brittleness even with repeated ignitions,
– and its operation even when it is supplied with low voltage (a few volts).
Its Other Advantages:
– very low power consumption, it has an efficiency that easily reaches 50 to 60 lm/W,
– its light intensity can vary, so it can be used for dimmer lights,
– no electromagnetic fields or UV radiation released, no mercury either (unlike compact fluorescent lamps).
Led Light Bulb: Not Suitable for Rooms Where Children Live
LED spotlights emit very blue light, and with very high luminance. At high power, the light emitted by the LEDs becomes dazzling. In addition, its light spectrum is not suitable for young children.
For interior lighting, it is advisable to limit the perceived luminous intensities by not seeking to obtain powerful lighting. In any case, LED light bulbs should not be placed in a room where a child is staying for a long time (bedroom, kitchen).
Led: A High but Falling Price
The price of LED light bulbs is still quite high, even if it has been falling for some time:
– from $12 (12 V, 2 W spotlight),
– up to $75 (220 V, 7 W E27 base).
Its Other Disadvantages:
– efficiency very variable according to the power,
– it has a light spectrum that draws strongly on blue, hence the risks evoked by their detractors for a category of sensitive people or people with certain eye diseases,
– need for well-ventilated support (for power LEDs) due to the high heat emission.
Caution: Be sure to follow the manufacturer’s instructions regarding the destination of the bulb and check that they cannot cause burns.
All in all, led light bulbs are here to enlighten our lives. You may also be interested to read a previous post on 5 Reasons Why LED Lights Are Good for the Environment. For more information, discover the world of home decoration ideas through this blog! From choosing between refrigerators to decorating your patio, there is a plethora of articles to read and apply in your house.
Leave a Reply