Is your ceiling hopelessly banal, or your walls lack relief? Adding decorative mouldings is a practical, quick and economical solution to give them some spirit. This post brings you advice on choosing and installing them, decorative moldings will no longer hold any secrets for you!
Shapes of decorative moldings
Decorative moldings are available in different shapes adapted to the place where they are to be installed:
– Ornamental linear moldings (patterned), recessed or protruding, and smooth linear mouldings are installed on ceilings, doors or in place of baseboards at the bottom of walls.
– On the lower third of the walls, panel-like moldings are installed side-by-side.
– On ceilings, old-fashioned rosettes or more designer models can be installed in the center of the rooms, and an electrical outlet can be provided in the center for the installation of a light fixture, chandelier or suspension.
Good to know: if you live in an old house whose ceilings and walls are decorated with original moldings, you will enhance them by cleaning, repainting and having them restored by a professional company. They will take care of the repairs, even the smallest ones, and their estimate can be established at the sight of a simple photo.
The material of the decorative moldings
Decorative moldings are available in more or less economical materials, your choice will be made according to their location:
– Polystyrene is economical and light, easy to install with a suitable glue, but its finishes are not always perfect and it does not withstand rubbing and knocks. It should therefore be reserved for high parts of walls and ceilings.
– Polyurethane is more expensive than polystyrene but also more resistant and with finer finishes.
– Plaster is reinforced with fiberglass or sisal. It can take various forms, you can ask the service provider for a unique design. Depending on the adapted finishes, the plaster can take the appearance of metal, wood or marble. It is very resistant to blows and rubbing.
– Wood is an inexpensive material that is used in renovation. Sensitive to the hygrometry of a room, it also has an irregular grain and is more difficult to install than other materials.
Decorative moldings and styles
Decorative moldings come in different styles and can be matched with different types of decorations:
– Classic: they will be in harmony with furniture, textiles and carpets, finishing with refinement the spirit of a decoration.
– Contemporary: they will give chic and originality to a room.
– Design: they will be out of step with the furniture and will emphasize it by opposition.
Installation of decorative moldings
You will need installation materials such as a miter box to get perfect cuts, a saw and a product to glue the moldings. These last two items must be adapted to the chosen material:
– For polystyrene or polyurethane, neoprene glue or mastic glue will be used.
– For reinforced plaster (or staff), the product to be used is a plaster glue.
– Wood moldings will be nailed.
Decorative molding prices
Depending on your budget, you will be able to choose between different materials but the price will also depend on the complexity of the molding’s design.
Points of sale for decorative moldings
You will find:
– decorative moldings in polystyrene or polyurethane in large DIY stores,
– staff bead moldings at specialized dealers in this material,
– wood moldings in DIY stores and specialized moldings manufacturer.
Hope the above helps you in making your choice of molding. Remember to leave your comments in the section below. We will like to hear from you too.