Quartz is one of the most popular materials in the world of kitchen countertops. There is no doubt that it is one of the most durable countertops available.
Quartz is composed of a fusion of stone and resin, it is as reliable as granite, and its aesthetics is also something to be proud of. Because of their sturdiness, quartz countertops are rarely scratched, cracked, or chipped.
However, nothing on this planet is perfect because even the hardest and toughest quartz countertop can have a chip from time to time. So how to proceed if this happens? Don’t panic yet, because, like any problem, there is a solution! And how to fix a chip in a quartz countertop is not as difficult as you might think (unless the problem is so severe that expert help is needed).
Check the Warranty on Your Quartz Countertop
First of all, before you get into the DIY business, your quartz countertop may still have its warranty in place. In this case (and we hope you’ve kept it!), don’t hesitate to check your warranty.
The chances are that the company that sold it to you provided you with your copy so you can check which types of damage are covered and which ones you can do yourself.
Usually, warranties on quartz countertops last at least one year or up to a maximum of 10 years, so if you see that you are still covered, don’t hesitate to contact your supplier and ask for help.
They can give you specific instructions on how to attach a chip to your quartz countertop. Better yet, they may be able to send someone from their team to look at and repair the quartz countertop chips.
How Do You Repair a Small Chip on a Quartz Countertop?
If you have a minor chip on your countertop, there is a simple method you can do to fix the problem. You can do this by using adhesives to repair a chip on a quartz countertop. To get started, here are the materials you will need:
– Ammonia-based cleaner
– Masking tape
– Superglue (for clear quartz countertops)
– Pigmented Epoxy Adhesive (for dark colors)
– Step 1. Start with a clean surface. Use the ammonia-based cleaner to remove dust and other particles from the countertop.
– Step 2. Put masking tape around the chip.
– Step 3. If you have a light-colored quartz countertop, apply your super glue. Because it is a transparent material, it is barely noticeable when you use it for repairs. Once the application is completed, allow it to dry overnight or for at least 24 hours.
– Step 4. If you have a dark-colored or textured quartz countertop, it is preferable to use a pigmented epoxy adhesive. If you want optimal results, apply a tint with the same shade as your quartz countertop and mix them. Don’t worry about irregularities because you can sand later.
– Step 5. Finally, using sandpaper, file down the adhesive once it is already hard and dry. For best results, choose sandpaper with a higher grit ranging from 360 to 600.
If you need quartz countertops in Aventura, International Stone Design USA is the company you should call. They have more than 20 years of experience in manufacturing and distributing the finest quartz and they will provide other useful tips that will help prolong the durability of your quartz surfaces.